Your home is your sanctuary from the outside world. You’ve worked to make it beautiful and welcoming. But what happens when the unseen causes an unhealthy home environment for you and your family?
Mould is one of those silent intruders that doesn’t always become apparent until it’s already conquered half your house. Moulds grow where there is moisture, they grow quickly and can cause serious damage to both your health and the structure of your home. The best way to treat mould is through prevention and to do that you need to work with mould-resistant building materials.
What is mould and is it the same thing as mildew?
Moulds are a type of fungi and usually grow in warm, damp conditions. It grows quickly and tends to appear in larger quantities than Mildew, which is also a fungus, but appears in smaller patches and has a powdery look to it. Both mould and mildew come in many different varieties and colours. And while mildew can cause some health problems like headaches, difficulty breathing and coughing, the health risks aren’t as serious as they are for mould.
What are the health risks to your family?
Since mould comes in a variety of strains some are more dangerous than others. Health Canada cautions that exposure to mould impacts people in different ways depending on their exposure and overall health. But studies have shown that exposure to mould can cause:
- Eye, nose and throat irritation
- Coughing and phlegm buildup
- Wheezing and shortness of breath
- Symptoms of asthma
- Allergic reactions
- And in very rare cases, mould can be toxic
How to stop mould from taking root
When it comes to mould, prevention is the best approach. All of Fusion Stone’s stone veneer products are mould and water resistant. Fusion Stone’s products keep water and moisture out of your home, protecting you and your family from having to worry about this silent, invisible intruder. Find a Fusion Stone dealer near you to learn more about Fusion Stone’s mould resistant stone veneer products.